- Category: Heart Disease
Home Medications and Treatments for Heart Disease
Heart disease is any disorder that affects the heart's ability to function normally Some of the major problems connected with the heart include blood clots, blockages in the arteries, high blood pressure, inadequate blood circulation, irregular heartbeat rates, and interrupted blood flow to the brain.
Jump to - Symptoms, Causes , Treatment, Other suggestions
A common symptom of heart disease:
Shortness of breath, which is caused by the blood being deprived of the proper amount of oxygen
Chest pain or pain down either arm
Rapid (or irregular) heartbeats
Cold hands and feet
The most serious and troublesome symptom of this disease is a heart attack.
The basic causes of heart disease are wrong feeding habits, faulty style of living and various stresses. The famous Framingham Heart Study of the National Heart and Lung Institute in Massachusetts, identified seven major risk factors in coronary heart disease. These are:
(1) elevated blood levels of cholesterol, triglycerides, and other fatty substances;
(2) elevated blood pressure;
(3) elevated blood uric acid levels (mainly caused by high protein diet);
(4) certain metabolic disorders, notably diabetes;
(6) smoking; and
(7) lack of physical exercise.
Each or a combination of these risk factors can contribute to heart disease. High fat diets and lack of regular exercise lead to obesity which is a major cause of cholesterol and blood pressure related diseases which in turn cause heart diseases. Emotional stress and an aggressive nature are also harmful in the long run and contribute in causing heart diseases.
Heart Disease Treatment with Apple:
Apples have heart-stimulating properties. Patients suffering from a weak heart will benefit greatly by making liberal use of this fruit and apple jam.
Heart Disease Treatment with Onion:
Onions have been found valuable in heart disease. They are useful in normalizing the percentage of blood cholesterol by oxidizing excess cholesterol. One teaspoon of raw onion juice first thing in the morning is beneficial in such cases.
Heart Disease Treatment using Honey:
Honey has got marvelous properties to prevent all sorts of heart disease. It tones up the heart and improves the circulation. It is also effective in cardiac pain and palpitation of the heart. One tablespoon daily after food is sufficient to prevent all sorts of heart troubles.
Heart Disease Remedy with Asparagus:
Asparagus is an excellent food for strengthening the heart. A good medicine for a weak or an enlarged heart is prepared by mixing the freshly extracted juice of this vegetable with honey, in the ratio of 2:1. A teaspoon of this medicine should be taken three times daily. Patients with heart disease will also benefit by steam cooking this vegetable.
Remedy with Alfalfa:
The herb alfalfa in the form of juice has been found very helpful in most troubles related to the arteries and heart diseases. Only the leaves of the plant are used for this purpose, when they can be obtained fresh. The juice of fresh alfalfa is, however, too strong and potent to be taken by itself. It is best taken with carrot juice in equal quantities of 12/5 ml each, twice daily. In this combination, the individual benefits of each juice are intensified.
Remedy with Vitamin E:
Patients with heart disease should increase their intake of foods rich in vitamin E, as this vitamin is said to promote heart function by improving oxygenation of the cell. It also Improves the circulation and muscle strength. Many whole meal products and green vegetables, particularly outer leaves of cabbage, are good sources of vitamin E.
Remedy with Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is also essential as it protects against spontaneous breaches in capillary walls which can lead to heart attacks. It also guards against high blood cholesterol. The stress of anger, fear, disappointment, and similar emotions can raise blood fat and cholesterol levels immediately but this reaction to stress can do little harm if the diet is adequate in vitamin C and pantothenic acid. One of the richest sources of vitamin C is citrus fruits.
Heart Disease Treatment with Grapes:
Fresh fruits in general are beneficial in die treatment of heart disease. They tone up the heart Grapes are especially effective in heart pain and palpitation of the heart, and the disease can be rapidly controlled if die patient adopts an exclusive diet of grapes for a few days. Grape juice is particularly valuable when one is actually suffering from a heart attack.
DIET FOR HEART DISEASE:
1. A overall healthy diet – This is important in maintaining a normally functioning heart and circulatory system. Use fresh foods as close to the natural state as possible, avoiding prepackaged and processed foods. Eat daily servings of leafy green vegetables, moderate amounts of whole grains (such as brown rice and rolled oats), fresh fruit, and proteins with a minimum of animal fat. Drink at least 8 cups of fluids daily. For more information, listen to our program on healthy diet (number 343).
2. Avoid sugar foods (such as candy, cake, and cookies) and refined carbohydrates (such as white flour products and white rice).
3. Eliminate or at least greatly reduce consumption of coffee and alcohol.
4. Be sure to get enough high-quality protein. Replace red meat with fish and chicken as much as possible, and include beans, nuts, and seeds in your diet.
5. Too much fat in the diet may weaken and clog the arteries. Reduce the use of fats such as butter, margarine, vegetable oils, and mayonnaise. Nuts and nut butters also have a high fat content and should be limited.
6. Use salt only in moderation. Replace with commercially prepared salt substitutes or kelp powder. It is important to consult food product labels to ensure that foods do not contain hidden sources of salt.
7. Excess weight puts stress on the heart and the rest of the circulatory system. If overweight, it is important to get on a sensible weight loss program. For more information, refer to the article on weight loss.