- Category: Hair loss
Home Medications and Treatments for Hair Loss
It is quite natural to lose about fifty to hundred a day. More than this amount of hair loss could result from any one of a number of factors and may be cause for concern. Hair grows from follicles and each follicle grows a single hair. The hair follows a typical cycle that comprises a lengthy growth period and then a short rest period, before shedding. At any time, about 10 percent of the hair on the scalp is resting, the remaining 90% is growing.
Jump to - Symptoms, Causes , Treatment, Other suggestions
In women a thinning of the hair over the scalp and the crown of the head and for men in a receding hair line or baldness on the top of the head is a sign of excessive hair loss.
The most important cause of loss of hair is inadequate nutrition. Even a partial lack of almost any nutrient may cause hair to fall. Persons lacking in vitamin B6 lose their hair and those deficient in folic acid often become completely bald. But the hair grows normally after the liberal intake of these vitamins.
Other important causes of loss of hair are stress such as worry, anxiety, and sudden shock; general debility caused by severe or long standing illnesses like typhoid, syphilis,, chronic cold, influenza, and anaemia; an unclean condition of the scalp which weakens the hair roots by blocking the pores with the collected dirt; and heredity.
Hair Loss Treatment with Rubbing of Scalp:
A vigorous rubbing of the scalp with fingers after washing the hair with cold water is one of the most effective among the several home remedies for the prevention and treatment of loss of hair. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat It will activate the sebaceous glands and energize the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.Hair Loss
Treatment using Alfalfa:
The juice of alfalfa, in combination with equal quantities of carrot and lettuce juices, taken daily, also helps the growth of hair to a remarkable extent The combination of these juices is rich in elements which are particularly useful for the growth of hair. While preparing alfalfa juice, the leaves of the plant may be used when they can be obtained fresh.
Hair Loss Treatment with Lime-Pepper Seeds:
Certain home remedies have also been found beneficial in the treatment of patchy baldness. The most valuable of these remedies is the seeds of lime and black pepper, ground together to get a fine paste. This paste applied on the patches, has a mildly irritant action. This increases blood circulation to the affected area and stimulates hair growth. The paste should be applied twice a day, for a few weeks.
Hair Loss Treatment with Onion:
Onion has also been found beneficial in patchy baldness. The affected part should be rubbed with onions morning and evening till it is red. It should be rubbed with honey afterwards.
Hair Loss Treatment with Coconut Milk:
The application of coconut milk all over the scalp and massaging it into the hair roots is also beneficial in the treatment of loss of hair. It nourishes the hair and promotes hair growth. Coconut milk is prepared by grinding the coconut shavings and squeezing them well.
Hair Loss Treatment using Liquorice:
The paste of licorice, made by grinding the pieces in milk with a pinch of saffron, is another valuable remedy for patchy baldness. This paste should be applied over the bald patches at night before going to bed.
Diet for Hair Loss:
1. An overall healthy diet – Use fresh foods as close to the natural state as possible. Avoid processed and pre-packaged food. Eat daily servings of leafy green vegetables, whole grains, fruit, and proteins with a minimum of animal fat. As much as possible, avoid sugar foods such as candy, cake, cookies, etc. and refined carbohydrates such as white flour products.
2. Eliminate or at least greatly reduce consumption of coffee and alcohol. Caffeine will constrict the blood vessels and decrease nourishment to the hair.
3. Constipation or irregular bowel movements can aggravate the problem. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and add fiber to your diet. If you need more information, reefer to the article on constipation.